Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Albatross

This year is the first year since the 1950's that my family has not owned a canal boat. Our last boat was the Norman 25 cabin cruiser Albatross. 
Albatross was built in 1969, described as a "comfortable and roomy craft with lines and styling to match its performance." 
Albatross 2 in original condition


We bought Albatross in the late 1970s to replace the original Albatross. The first Albatross was made of wood and was showing its age. Also it had low sides and I was fond of trying to crawl over the edge into the water. Albatross II had nice high toddler-defying sides. The new Albatross had two cabins, so me and my sister could be locked in the back with the VW engine that was in there. 
Albatrosses do Fly
We had holidays in Wigan, Stoke, Manchester, Birmingham, Llangollen, Chester, we did the 4 Counties, the Cheshire Ring. We took dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils on holiday with us. 
Me and Jenny by the canal in snow in the 1980s
I spent my childhood on the Albatross until I got to tall and banged my head too often. After that my parents continued to holiday on the canal with me and my sister visiting them around the country.

Albatross entering Albert Dock
In the last few years my parents took Albatross on the River Weaver, down the new dock link to the South Docks in Liverpool and up the Manchester Ship Canal. 
Albatross looking very small on the Manchester Ship Canal

Following the death of my father this year, I had to decide whether to keep the boat or sell it. It was a hard choice but in the end we had to sell. 

No comments: